Thursday, February 25, 2016

Celebrating Life at Mayday

I have to admit that most people wouldn’t think of having a memorial for their husband at a micro- brewery. But then, my husband, Jack, and I are known for not always following convention.

Jack didn’t want to do anything upon his death, but there were too many friends and family who needed a chance to say good-bye. So, his family and I discussed having a Life Celebration instead.

 Since he loved a good beer and German food, I threw out having a party at Mayday Brewery. I knew Jack really liked their beer. His family agreed. As one of his visiting fraternity brothers said at the event, “It is so Jack.”

We had our celebration on Saturday 2/20/2016. Ozzy and his staff were great. We shared the tasting room space from 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. on a Saturday. That allowed us to take over the main sitting area. We played Jack’s favorite music over the sound system, and showed a slide show of his life and loves on the big screen. Local caterer, Jo, from Jo’s Cakes & Catering created a German feast that passed the test of his German-born family. Mayday staff kept the beer flowing.

 The atmosphere was perfect for Jack’s eclectic tastes in music: including classic German oomph, Frank Zappa, A Pirate’s Life from Disney, Shout from Animal House, Parliment, Trisha Yearwood, Village People, Coolio, and the a piece from the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. The laid-back atmosphere was a great way to say good-bye to a man who began every dinner we had out together with the toast, “To life.”

 As she was heading out, a friend told me that when she passed she wanted me to put together the same thing for her. “I mean exactly the same, same food, same location, same beverages, same music. Just pictures of my life.”

 Ozzy, we might be starting a trend here.

No comments:

Post a Comment